Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Packing 101: Retention or No Retention?

From time to time people ask about holsters for concealed carry, open carry, or field carry such as out in the woods or on property. Many of these folks ask about the use of holsters with retention devices and those without. Some people prefer a retention device and some people do not. Everyone has their opinions. For those of you that may be in the process of forming or revising your opinion, I will present mine.

Concealed Carry: People carry firearms concealed beneath one or more layers of clothing for protection against criminal attacks. These firearms are typically out of view and accessible only after moving aside a layer of clothing. Many people do not feel the need to have any type of retention device incorporated into their holster. I tend to agree with that position.

I have carried in several different types of holsters over the years. I have used an MTAC, Galco Combat Master, Nick Mathews #1 IWB, Safariland ALS holsters, and several others. For concealed carry I mainly used the MTAC and Nick Mathews #1. Lately I have been carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 in a Gould and Goodrich pancake holster equipped with a thumb snap.

I carried with the MTAC and Nick Mathews #1 for five years. During those years I only had a handful of instances where my pistol became slightly dislodged from the holster due to rigorous activity. I don't mind having a thumb snap. For me it does not slow my draw, or create much of a problem in regards to concealing the firearm. My opinion- take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me.

Open Carry: I have only open carried away from work a few times. Each time I open carried I used a Safariland ALS holster, or the previously mentioned Gould and Goodrich thumb snap holster. At work I use a level III Safariland 6360 ALS holster. In my opinion this holster is really a level II holster as it only has two retention devices to defeat. 

When carrying a firearm in public view I feel that the use of some form of retention is an absolute necessity. The chances of having someone attempt to disarm you are low, the threat is still there. In my opinion, open carry is a method of carry that requires knowledge and training in hand to hand combat and weapon retention. My opinion- the use of a retention holster for open carry is a requirement. 

Field Carry: Some people may be asking exactly what the difference between field carry and open carry is. In reality they are similar. The only major difference being open carry is typically out and about in public and field carry is out of public and in the woods or the field. When I go about in the field I prefer a holster with a thumb snap. I do not think of the thumb snap or retention device and a requirement.

The only reason I chose to have a thumb snap on my holster is simply to help keep my gun in place. I don't want to risk falling, or tripping and rolling down a hill and then find myself searching for my gun because it fell out of my holster. Granted there are no guarantees with the use of a thumb snap, it just makes me feel all warm and safe. (Kind of like gun control laws...sarcasm)

There is nothing wrong with using a holster with no retention out in the field. If you find yourself in a situation where you may be in public, throwing a light coat on over your gun is normally not out of the question. My opinion: a retention device is preferable, but not required.

Most of the decisions about the use of retention will be specific to the activities and types of holsters used. A quality, well fit holster will not typically need a retention device. The thumb snap tends to make me feel more secure when in the field. I only open carry at work, and for concealed carry I go either way.

If you are trying to decide between the two, go with a retention device or thumb snap. Working the device into your draw stroke is rather simple. If you find that you really don't need the device or thumb snap you now have a holster well suited for rigorous activity like hiking or hunting if you are interested in those kinds of activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment